Academic Regalia Information
All 2023 graduates should be ordering regalia when you apply for graduation for 2023.
Regalia will be delivered directly to you based on the information provided at the time of your order when you applied for graduation. If you have not ordered, please do so by visiting University Caps and Gown, INC. Orders attempted after posted deadlines will need to be done directly through our Balfour - University Cap and Gown representative by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate that you missed the order deadline when contacting our representative.
About Academic Regalia
The MGH Institute values the centuries-old decorum and proud traditions associated with academia regalia. With their unique heraldry and degree-specific designs, these regalia are long-standing emblems of our higher education culture. The cap, gown, and hood have become international symbols of learning and accomplishment.
We also recognize, while promoting an inclusive, welcoming Commencement experience for all, that there are traditional regalia and ceremonial garments of similar importance associated with other cultures. Students who wish to substitute the regalia of their family heritage in place of the IHP regalia, should request an exemption from the IHP specifications by emailing email@example.com.
Honor cords for the School of Nursing Sigma/Upsilon Lambda Chapter can be obtained by contacting Carla Donati in the School of Nursing.
Note, the Institute will review and make a decision on all such requests in order to ensure the formal nature of Commencement. Requests must be submitted by April 1 in any given calendar year to be considered for the May ceremony.
Important note: Caps, Gowns, and Hoods (If applicable) are yours to keep after the Commencement Ceremonies.
Here are a few tips for wearing your graduation regalia properly:
- Adjust the gown so that is sites comfortably on your shoulders. It should fall below your knee, but not so low that it is a tripping hazard.
- Put the hood on over your head with the velvet side up and the small tapered end in front. Be sure to drape your hood around your neck with the largest portion of the hood hanging down your back.
- Let your colors show! Turn the IHP colors out on your hood and roll the velvet edge out to show the teal and silver inside colors. When you're done, the end of the hood will look somewhat like a fin.
- For four-sided mortarboards (caps), place the cap on your head so the point is lined up with the middle of your forehead. Adjust the mortarboard so that it's parallel to the ground. Don't wear it to the side or back. You may need some bobby pins or clips to keep it securely on your head.
- For soft tams (Doctoral Students), place the tam on your head with the adjustment tab in the back. Do not wear it to the side or back. You may need bobby pins or clips to keep it securely on your head.
- Fasten your tassel to the button on the top of your mortarboard or tam. Put the tassel on the left side to show that your degree has been conferred.