Faculty Award for Excellence in Research
About this Award
The award will be announced and presented at commencement. The awardee will be presented with a financial token of appreciation and a commemorative plaque. This award will only be given when there is a qualified candidate and does not have to be given every year. The Faculty Award for Excellence in Research honors a distinguished Institute faculty member who has a sustained distinctive program of research that is recognized nationally and internationally. The award is presented at the fall Faculty Convocation.
Purpose of the Award
To honor a distinguished MGH Institute of Health Professions (IHP) faculty member who has a sustained distinctive program of research that is recognized nationally and internationally for; 1) creating new knowledge that significantly impacts the scientific basis of his or her field of practice, and 2) advances the research mission of the IHP.
- Holds an appointment at the Associate or Full Professor level.
- Holds an appointment of at least 0.5 FTE.
- Has a sustained program of research while at the Institute that contributes to the IHP research mission.
- Has undertaken research that has enhanced the reputation of the Institute.
- Has not received the award previously.
A committee with representation from faculty, students, and the Board of Trustees will evaluate the nominees' qualification for evidence of:
- Number and quality of peer-reviewed publications.
- Citations of their work by others in the field.
- Research funding as principal investigator (PI), co-PI, or co-investigator.
- Research mentor to IHP faculty, colleagues and students.
- Recognized nationally and internationally as outstanding in their field of research.
The review committee for this award will be appointed by the Institute Provost and may not contain any nominees. It will be composed of the following five members:
- a previous award recipient
- one Institute Trustee
- two members of the Faculty Research Operations Committee, one of whom will serve as the committee chair
- the Director of Research Programs at the Institute
Please assemble the following items into a single ELECTRONIC packet and email it to the Office of the Provost by May 1:
- Name, Title, School/Dept of Nominee with 250 words that tell us why they deserve this research award. Provide specific examples that address the award criteria.
- The nominee’s CV.
- Digital copies of up to 4 publications that best illustrate the nominee’s influence over the research in his or her field with a brief paragraph describing the same.