New Employees Guide
This checklist/guide of resources was created to help support you with your on-boarding experience. We hope this guide helps you become a connected, productive, and thriving member of the Institute community.
Note: Some links in these sections are password protected or can only be accessed within the IHP network. You will have access to these links after your start date.
Your Next Steps
Tour the campus with your manager, faculty mentor, or designated department colleague for introductions with colleagues in the various departments. Obtain your ID badge and employee ID number (you will do this as part of your day one orientation with HR). If you start before attending the day one Institute orientation, HR will provide you instructions for picking up your badge.
Log in to Password Self Service to create your ID and password for access to email, PeopleSoft, and many other Institute systems.
Non-exempt staff only must complete online training for recording daily time worked. During your first week, you will use the “Weekly Form” to submit your time. By the end of week one, you will have completed the Kronos training in Healthstream and can begin logging in and logging out through KSS.
Kronos Self Service Instructions
Daily Timecard edit form. A weekly form can be completed if you have to report all hours worked in a week via a form. If you have any payroll inquiries, please consult your department timekeeper.
If you will be accessing your IHP email or any of the IHP systems from your home laptop or smart phone, these devices must be encrypted.
Log in to PeopleSoft to fill out your M-4, W-4 and sign up for direct deposit. Direct deposit is required.
Link to PeopleSoft (internal/at work):
- (From your work computer you can get to PeopleSoft following this path:
- Click on "P" tab in the bottom left corner of your screen.
- A menu will pop up, click on the PeopleSoft icon.
- Enter your network user name and password.
- Select HRMS Production.
- Select Self Service.
To access PeopleSoft offsite/at home:
- Register your account following these instructions: Phone-Based Authentication Set-Up Guide
- Visit the PeopleSoft website.
- You will receive a text message with a code to enter so you can access PeopleSoft remotely.
Attend your Occupational Health Services appointment. This is required for all employees.
You should be contacted via email by Occupational Health Services to schedule your appointment. This appointment must be scheduled within two days of hire.
In an effort to expedite the clearance process, please provide the following documentation to MGH
- All immunization records. Most importantly, proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR), either documented vaccinations or with positive titers.
- Documentation of TB screening. If the TB test was positive, please provide a CHEST X RAY REPORT ruling out active TB.
Decide which benefits you would like to participate in and then make time to enroll in your benefits in PeopleSoft. Remember: You have 30 days from your date of hire to do this.
Benefits information (located on Intranet)
Decide whether you need to sign-up for a parking pass or MBTA-Pass.
- Set up office voicemail
- Fill in your Mass General Brigham Directory information
- Create your email signature
Work with your program/office manager or coordinator on supplies you need to get started and order your IHP business cards.
Log in to HealthStream to begin phase two of your New Employee Orientation. Be sure to schedule time on your calendar your first week to complete the first three required trainings:
- HIPPA (10 min)
- Institute General Safety (25 Min)
- Institute FERPA (30 Min)
Review information about the Institute including our Mission, Vision, and Core Values, our Strategic Plan, and details about your school or department available on the IHP website.
(Faculty Only) Explore Faculty Compass.
Meet with your manager/supervisor to review the following (some of these activities listed below will flow into your first few weeks as well):
- Your schedule
- Your department and job-specific orientation plan
- Job responsibilities, competencies, expectations
- Department’s mission, strategy, values, key functions, policies and procedures, organizational structure, department directory and key department contacts/resources, department calendar, confidentiality information, emergency procedures and plans, necessary health and safety training for your role/department
- Set initial goals/projects/priorities
Contact your HR Representative to set-up an appointment if you have any follow up benefit questions before you make your benefit selections.
HR Department Information (Intranet)
Register for IOnline. Go into this system to enter your emergency contact information. The IHP uses this system to notify employees and students of school closures as well as emergency situations.
Use these links to take a virtual tour of the Institute and Charlestown Navy Yard. In addition to this virtual tour, your department will conduct a live campus tour during your first few weeks of employment.
Charlestown Navy Yard Information
History of Charlestown Navy Yard Part 1
Continue to complete your required online Institute orientation trainings in the HealthStream portal. You have 30 days to complete the following four trainings:
- Employee Assistance Program (8 minutes)
- Institute Compliance (8 minutes)
- Infection Control (25 minutes)
- MGH Code Silver Training (25 minutes)
Make sure you have all the systems access you need for your role and if you require any additional training, please work with your manager to set up.
Meet important people to your role, whether in your department, school, or other areas of the Institute, Mass General, or external business partners.
Work with your manager to determine which department/regular meetings should be on your calendar and what important Institute meetings to add your calendar.
- Events Calendar
- All employees should attend President Milone-Nuzzo's Town Hall Meetings.
- All employees are encouraged to attend the Institute monthly Socials, Holiday party (December), and Employee Appreciation Day (May)
- Staff should attend Staff Council meetings.
Start to make it a practice to read and review the IHP News internal e-newsletter emailed Thursdays in the afternoon. Or you can check out the communications news page.
Designate your manager in the IHP Time Off reporting system (Intranet). Please make sure to enter your manager's email in the box and NOT the manager's name.
Sign-up for your benefits if you have not already done so. Remember you have 30 days from your date of hire to enroll.
- Benefits information (Intranet)
- eBenefits Guide
(Faculty) Watch "Extend Your Impact in D2L". All faculty are automatically enrolled in this self-paced program. Whether you are teaching onsite, online, or in a blended course, look for it under the "other" role on your home page in Desire2Learn. The animated modules, approximately 8 minutes in length, will inform you about best practices in teaching and the use of online tools for a variety of instructional activities, including online discussions, the design and management of group projects, and methods of assessment.
Become familiar with the Institute’s performance evaluation tools that will be used to evaluate your performance:
- Faculty – See Faculty Work Plan in Faculty Handbook
- Staff – Staff Performance Evaluations document (Intranet)
Check your paycheck in PeopleSoft and make sure you understand how to read it. If you have any questions contact your HR Representative. Please note: Faculty/Monthly employees will not be able to check their first paycheck till the 26th of the month. Tip: Make this a regular weekly/monthly practice.
- Link to PeopleSoft (internal/at work)
- Access PeopleSoft offsite/at home
- Log on to PeopleSoft>HRMS Production>Self-Service>Payroll and Compensation>Select View Pay Check
Start to think about development and training opportunities available to IHP faculty and staff.
Review retirement plans. The IHP has very generous retirement plans for employees. Staff participate in the MGH Cash Balance Retirement Plan and Faculty participate in the Academic Annuity Plan (AAP). Both of these programs are part of an employee’s total compensation. Staff should review the online information on this excellent benefit and meet with their HR Representative if they have any questions. Faculty should meet/contact their designated Professional Staff Benefits Rep to go over the AAP.
The Institute offers Tax Sheltered Annuities [403(b)] options that enable employees to save for retirement voluntarily on a pretax basis.
The Institute Mission, Vision, Core Values statements and our Strategic Plan guide our work. Each employee plays an important role in helping the Institute fulfill our mission and goals.
All Institute employee evaluations are conducted in the spring (typically between April-May). Many departments request faculty and staff complete self evaluations. Talk with your manager about what will be expected of you during this process.
Stay up to date with what's going on at the Institute. If you have news to share contact the Strategic Communications office.
Attend Institute social gatherings to network, connect, and have FUN with your colleagues!
If you travel to work-approved conferences, trainings, or other events or have to purchase something approved on your own credit card, this resource portal provides info on how to submit for reimbursement in PeopleSoft.
Manage your vacation and time off in the IHP Time Off Reporting System. Faculty must use their vacation time from the previous fiscal year between July 1st and August 31. Staff that have earned time above the allowable max will have excess hours roll over to their ESL bank.
- Time Off Reporting System
- Faculty vacation and Sick Policy: See Vacation and Sick Policies on the Intranet.
- Staff Vacation and ESL Bank Information
Review your benefits anytime in PeopleSoft. Make sure they are working for you. Every fall you have the opportunity to make changes to your benefits during open enrollment. These changes take effect on Jan 1. You can also make changes to your benefits during the year with a qualifying life event. Learn more about benefits in AskMyHR.
Take advantage of Health and Wellness discounts and programs available to IHP employees.