New Employees: Frequently Asked Questions


New Hire Paperwork:

Q: If I don't have the required employment verification documentation, can I complete the I-9 Employment Verification form?

A: No. The material can be taken home after the first day of work and returned on the second day of work with the proper identification.

Q: What happens if I can't get the proper ID documentation?

A: You will not be able to work at MGH Institute until proper documentation is provided. You should immediately contact the HR Generalist listed on your offer letter if you do not have proper identification.

Q: Is a Social Security Card necessary if I have other documentation for employment verification?

A: Yes. The Social Security Card is necessary to verify that your name and number in our Human Resources Information System is exactly as it appears on your Social Security Card. We provide this information to Social Security Administration for wage reporting purposes and need to ensure the accuracy. If you need to replace a lost Social Security Card, you may go to any Social Security Office and request a replacement. There is one located near North Station at the Tip O'Neil building (10 Causeway Street).


 Q: Do I have to attend my Occupational Health Services (OHS) appointment if it is scheduled during my workday?

A: Yes, the Occupational Health appointment is required.

Q: If I already met with Occupational Health Services when I was a volunteer or non-employee at MGH, do I need to go again?

A: Yes. The pre-placement screening for new hires may vary from screenings performed for volunteers and non-employees. Occupational Health Services would like to meet with all hires who are not transferring from Bulfinch Temporary Services.

Back to Top

ID Badges:

Q: How do I get my photo ID badge?

A: During day one of the Institute’s in-person orientation session you will be taken to the Police and Security desk to take your photo and create your ID badge.

Q: What if I did not have my picture taken on Orientation day 1?

A: If you start before a day one scheduled orientation, you will need to report to the Charlestown Navy Yard photo ID office which is located at the Police and Security desk at the West Entrance of the Building 149 lobby.

Q: My name or department is incorrect on my badge, how do I fix this?

A: Please visit the photo ID office referenced above for any corrections.


Q: When do I get paid?

A: Paycheck distribution is weekly and occurs on Thursdays for weekly employees. If this is your first week of employment, you will be paid on the Thursday following your first week. If you would like to view your paycheck prior to Thursday, you may do so through Peoplesoft Employee Self Service. Once logged on to Peoplesoft please navigate this path:

Peoplesoft HRMS Production>Self Service>Employee>View>View Paycheck

Monthly employees (Institute Faculty & Administration) are paid on the 26th.  If the 26th is on a weekend or holiday, paychecks will be paid on the earliest business day after the 26th.

Peoplesoft HRMS Production>Self Service>Employee>View>View Paycheck

Q: Who is my timekeeper?

A: The full list of timekeepers for weekly payroll can be found on the Intranet.

Q: Whom do I contact if there is a problem with my paycheck?

A: You should report any discrepancies on your paycheck to your manager and your HR Generalist. 

Back to Top


Q:  When will my benefits start?

A: Benefits are effective (start) on the day that you become eligible to participate in them. For example, date of hire, the date that your pay rises to the minimum level for eligibility, the date your status changes from Per Diem to Regular, etc.

Q:  How long do I have to elect my benefits?

A: You have up to 30 days after the date on which you become eligible to elect your benefits. If you fail to do so within 30 days you will default to Partners Value coverage for yourself only, and the next opportunity to enroll will be during the next annual Benefits Open Enrollment period.

Q:  What if I don't need benefits?

A: If you already have insurance from another source and don't need to participate, you should "Opt Out" of benefits within 30 days of eligibility online through eBenefits. Otherwise your coverage defaults to Partners Value for yourself only, and the next opportunity to enroll will be during the next annual Benefits Open Enrollment.

Q:  Once my initial 30 days have passed, is there any other time that I can change my benefits?

A: Benefits can be changed for any reason during the Annual Benefits Open Enrollment period which generally takes place during November. Benefit changes made during the open period go into effect the following January 1. Benefits can also be changed within 30 days of a Qualified Life Event. Some examples of Qualified Life Events are:

  • Gain or loss of coverage from another source
  • Birth/Adoption/Change of Custody of a child
  • Marriage or divorce
  • Death
  • Dependent changing from ineligible to eligible status or vice versa
  • Move out of your medical plan's coverage area

Q: I changed to a regular status employee (i.e. per diem to regular, or Bulfinch temp to regular status), but I cannot enroll in benefits via eBenefits. What can I do?

A: You will need to contact your Human Resources Generalist to ensure that your status was updated in the Peoplesoft HR information system. Once your transfer record is updated, you will be able to enroll online within 72 hours of the update. If problem is not resolved after this time, please contact the benefits office at 617-726-8133 to open your enrollment.

Q:  How do I go about enrolling in or changing my benefits?

A:  Through PeopleSoft eBenefits

Q: If I am not ready to make my benefit elections by the end of orientation, can I take them home and submit them on a later date?

A: Yes. You can make your elections anytime within 30 days of your hire status change date. However, you will be responsible for the retroactive costs for those selections. If you do not make your elections within 30 days you will default into the "Partners Value Employee Only" coverage plan for the remainder of the year.

 Q: Do I have to submit all of my benefit elections through eBenefits at the same time?

A: Medical, dental, vision, life and flexible spending accounts must be submitted at the same time. You can enroll in Tax Sheltered Annuity accounts at any time throughout the year.

Q: What is Partners Plus and Partners Value?

A: Partners Plus and Partners Value are medical insurance coverages provided by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts.

Q:  I don't need medical insurance, but I'd like to have dental coverage. Is that allowed?

A: Yes. All plans are independent of each other.

Q:  I have not received my insurance card yet. What should I do?

A: It often takes the insurance companies 2-3 weeks to produce member cards. If you are in immediate need of medical attention, you can get the billing information from your benefits consultant. Otherwise, call the insurance company to request that cards be rushed to you.

Q:  I went to the pharmacy to fill a prescription and the pharmacist said I wasn't covered.

A: First, make sure that you presented the correct insurance card at the pharmacy. The correct card has the word CVS/Caremark printed on it, along with the subscriber's name and ID number. Your health insurance card will not be accepted because health insurance doesn't cover prescription drugs. If you presented the wrong card and paid full price for your medication, just bring the correct card to your pharmacist along with your receipt for a refund, less the co-payment.

Second, make sure that the pharmacy is a member of the CVS/Caremark network by visiting the CVS/Caremark website. Your membership number is your ID number.

Third, submit your receipt to CVS/Caremark for a reimbursement. Claim forms are available in the Professional Staff Benefits office.

Q:  My doctor is at a non-Mass General Brigham hospital. Can I still see her if I choose BCBS Partners Plus?

A: Yes. BCBS Partners Plus and BCBS Partners Value do not limit you to MGB doctors and hospitals. However, your costs will be lowest when you receive care from a MGB specialist.

Q:  My parents are coming to stay with me for an extended period. Can they be covered under my benefits?

A: No. Parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins are not considered qualified dependents.

Back to Top

Computer Access:

Q: How do I obtain my NT logon/username and computer password?

A: Employees must follow the Password Self-Service Process to obtain a username and create a password. The Password Self-Service Process can only be performed after your date of hire. If any problems should arise during this process, please contact MGH Help Desk at 617-726-5085.

Q: As a MGB Affiliate transfer, I already have a username and password, do I need to perform the Password Self-service process again?

A: No. If you are a direct transfer from an MGB affiliate, you may continue to use the Username and password that you obtained at the affiliate. However, if you are unable to access the computer systems, you should complete the Password Self-Service process to reset the password. Click here for instructions to reset your password.

Q: Why do I need a Username and password?

A: All employees receive a username to access Peoplesoft, our HR information systems to perform such tasks as enrolling for benefits, direct deposit and MBTA passes, making address changes and electing an emergency contact. Employees whose jobs require the use of a computer will also use the username and password to access the MGB network and email.

Q: I was not given access to the MGB Network and my job requires computer usage, how do I request access?

A: Contact your manager to have him/her grant you access to the network.

Q: How do I access my email and Peoplesoft from home?

A: You may access your email here

Peoplesoft can be accessed at

If you are connecting to any MGH resources including email and PeopleSoft from a portable device (laptop, smartphone, netbook, etc.), the device must be encrypted.

Q: I cannot access Peoplesoft from my home computer, what can I do?

A: If you are unable to access the link from home, you may access it from your workstation, or you may visit the Human Resources Office in Building 34, 2nd floor.

Q: Do I have to encrypt my portable electronic devices?

A: In order to comply with federal and state laws, Mass General Brigham (including MGH Institute) policy requires that all laptops for any MGH Institute/MGB business, to connect to any MGH Institute/MGBresources or for storing any MGH Institute/MGB information (including e-mail and PeopleSoft) be encrypted. 

Q: Who can I contact with any computer related issues?

A: For issues regarding computer access, please first verify that the manager has granted access.

MBTA Pass Program:

Q: How do I purchase a subsidized MBTA pass?

A: You have until the 14th of the month to sign up or cancel an MBTA pass for the following month. You must enroll online via Peoplesoft Employee Self Service. Once you enroll, the enrollment will carry over every month. Should you miss the deadline, you may contact Parking and Commuter Services at 617-724-6588 to possibly purchase a pass at the discounted rate. Parking and Commuter Services will only sell the extra MBTA passes up to the business day before the last business day of the month.  The office is located in the hospital in the Wang Ambulatory Care Center room 232.

You should expect to pick up your first Charliecard (link pass) or your Charlieticket (commuter rail and inner and outer express bus passes) from your department timekeeper.

Back to Top