New Employees: Your First Weeks
This check list / guide of resources was created to help support you with your on-boarding experience. We hope this guide helps you become a connected, productive, and thriving member of the Institute community. Note: Some links in these sections are password protected or can only be accessed within the IHP network. You will have access to these links after your start date.
1. Continue to complete your required online Institute orientation trainings in the HealthStream portal. You have 30 days to complete the following four trainings:
- Employee Assistance Program (8 minutes)
- Institute Compliance (8 minutes)
- Infection Control (25 minutes)
- MGH Code Silver Training (25 minutes)
2. Make sure you have all the systems access you need for your role and if you require any additional training, please work with your manager to set up.
3. Meet important people to your role, whether in your department, school, or other areas of the Institute, Mass General, Partners, or external business partners.
4. Work with your manager to determine which department/regular meetings should be on your calendar and what important Institute meetings to add your calendar.
- Events Calendar
- All employees should attend President Bellack's Town Hall Meetings.
- All employees are encouraged to attend the Institute monthly Socials, Holiday party (December), and Employee Appreciation Day (May)
- Faculty should attend Provost Johnson's Academic Town Meeting.
- Staff should attend Staff Council meetings.
5. Start to make it a practice to read and review the IHP Daily News emailed daily in the afternoon.
6. Designate your manager in the IHP Time Off reporting system (Intranet). Please make sure to enter your manager's email in the box and NOT the manager's name.
7. Sign-up for your benefits if you have not already done so. Remember you have 30 days from your date of hire to enroll.
8. (Faculty) Watch "Extend Your Impact in D2L". All faculty are automatically enrolled in this self-paced program. Whether you are teaching onsite, online, or in a blended course, look for it under the "other" role on your home page in Desire2Learn. The animated modules, approximately 8 minutes in length, will inform you about best practices in teaching and the use of online tools for a variety of instructional activities, including online discussions, the design and management of group projects, and methods of assessment.
9. Become familiar with the Institute’s performance evaluation tools that will be used to evaluate your performance:
- Faculty – See Faculty Work Plan in Faculty Handbook
- Staff – Staff Performance Evaluations document (Intranet)
10. Check your paycheck in PeopleSoft and make sure you understand how to read it. If you have any questions contact your HR Representative. Please note: Faculty/Monthly employees will not be able to check their first paycheck till the 26th of the month. Tip: Make this a regular weekly/monthly practice.
- Link to PeopleSoft (internal/at work)
- To access PeopleSoft offsite/at home: visit https://ibridge.partners.org
- Log on to PeopleSoft>HRMS Production>Self-Service>Payroll and Compensation>Select View Pay Check
11. Begin to review HR Policies (Intranet), the Institute Policies and Procedures Resource Page and the Faculty Handbook. The location and a general overview of these policies was provided during your IHP orientation. You are responsible for knowing these policies. Should you have any questions contact your manager or HR Representative.