New Employees: Your First Months
This check list / guide of resources was created to help support you with your on-boarding experience. We hope this guide helps you become a connected, productive, and thriving member of the Institute community. Note: Some links in these sections are password protected or can only be accessed within the IHP network. You will have access to these links after your start date.
1. Attend monthly IHP Socials sponsored by different departments. This is an opportunity to meet and network with faculty and staff from across the IHP. These dates are listed on the IHP Events Calendar and reminders go out via IHP Daily News.
2. Attend department overview meetings. This is an opportunity for new hires that start throughout the year to learn about key departments at the Institute and develop relationships with fellow new employees. The HR Team is currently scheduling the 2015 New Hire Connections meetings and will be in touch once final dates are set. Each meeting will have two to three departments presenting.
3. Start to think about development and training opportunities available to IHP faculty and staff.
- Faculty Development Information and Resources
- Staff Development Resource Portal (Intranet)
- Tuition Reimbursement (Intranet)
- Tuition Remission for Courses at the IHP
4. Take advantage of employee discounts via weekly MGH Perks emails (Fridays) or visit website.
5. Review retirement plans. The IHP has very generous retirement plans for employees. Staff participate in the MGH Cash Balance Retirement Plan and Faculty participate in the Academic Annuity Plan (AAP). Both of these programs are part of an employee’s total compensation. Staff should review the online information on this excellent benefit and meet with their HR Representative if they have any questions. Faculty should meet/contact their designated Professional Staff Benefits Rep to go over the AAP. Please also use the total compensation calculator to see a breakdown of your total compensation including not only salary but also additional benefits.
The Institute offers Tax Sheltered Annuities [403(b)] options that enable employees to save for retirement voluntarily on a pretax basis.
6. Check out Boston! Things To Do in Boston