Advance your nurse educator career.
Certification Prep | Expert nursing faculty guidance | 100% online| 8.0 Nursing CEs
Interested in advancing your nursing career while gaining the skills and credentialing to teach the next generation of nurses? This innovative course is ideal for nurses interested in working as nursing clinical faculty and seeking to become a Certified Academic Clinical Educator CNE®cl through the National League of Nursing.
Take steps to prepare for certification and receive expert nursing faculty guidance through this comprehensive review course.
Registration will open in late 2023. Next course begins in January 2024. To request information or to request a U.S. Department of Labor grant-funded scholarship, email nursingeducation [at] mghihp.edu.
This comprehensive review course provides asynchronous and synchronous sessions to prepare participants for the National League of Nursing (NLN) Certified Academic Nurse Educator (CNE®cl) examination and is structured to align with the NLN's exam blueprint. Participants will experience 8 learning modules to identify and explore, in depth, the six competencies that describe the role of the academic clinical nurse educator:
- Function within the Education and Health Care Environment
- Facilitate Learning in the Health Care Environment
- Demonstrate Effective Interpersonal Communication and Collaborative Interprofessional Relationships
- Apply Clinical Expertise in the Health Care Environment
- Facilitate Learner Development and Socialization
- Implement Effective Clinical Assessment & Evaluation Strategies
Check the NLN website for certification eligibility criteria.
100% online, hybrid model
- 6 modules of online, asynchronous content (6 hours total)
- 2 modules will be live virtual sessions led by nurse educators, to actively practice test questions and identify study and test preparation skills (2 hours total)
The course is offered three times a year: January, May, and September.
This course is ideal for registered nurses with a Bachelor’s Degree or higher and at least three years of nursing experience who are interested in working as nursing clinical faculty.
MGB Employees (20% off)
IHP Faculty & Alumni (40% off)
Apply for the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) Scholarship
See "Scholarship Info" section for details.
MGH Institute of Health Professions School of Nursing will offer a number of scholarship spots for this review course through a U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) grant in an effort to train more nurse educators. Learn more about the DOL grant.
The scholarship will cover the following:
- Tuition to this MGH IHP review course (valued at $250)
- NLN Official CNE®cl Test Review book (valued at $42)
- Certification examination fee (valued at $300).
Eligibility criteria for the scholarship is aligned with the criteria to sit for the NLN CNE®cl certification exam:
- A baccalaureate degree in nursing
- Valid licensure/certificate of unencumbered practice in one's country of residence
- Have at least 3 years of professional practice in any area of nursing
- Have at least 2 years of teaching experience in an academic setting within the last 5 years.
Discuss the core competencies that comprise the NLN test blueprint for the Academic Clinical Nurse Educator exam.
Formulate a CNEcl exam study plan based on personalized opportunities for growth.
Describe content related to the clinical nurse educator task statements.
Continuing Education Credits
In support of improving patient care, MGH Institute of Health Professions is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
MGH Institute of Health Professions designates this activity for 8.0 contact hours for nurses.