Syllabus Overview for HCD-553-DL Speech and Language Acquisition
Offered: Fall, Spring, Summer
Please visit the Institute's online bookstore for information regarding required course materials.
Note: Speech and Language Acquisition will run for 12 weeks.
- What is Language? Components of Language
- Theories of language acquisition
- Neurological development in infants
- Perceptual development
- The relationship between cognitive and social/language development in infancy
- Development of first words
- Intentional verbal communication
- Preschool development of language use and content
- Preschool development of language form
- Oral language development in school-age children and relationship between oral and written language skills
- Reading development from the acquisition of pre-literacy skills to skilled reading
- Writing development and overview of spelling skills
- Language delay vs. language disorder vs. language difference
- Red flag indicators for being at risk for language impairment
General Course Activities
Discussion Board Assignments
Case Study Essays
A student is expected to devote 10-15 hours per week to complete readings and course activities.
This course uses the learning platform software called Desire2Learn (D2L.) D2L integrates text, video, and audio. Before enrolling in the course, review the D2L system recommendations.