Due to the number of questions we get about syllabi, course topics, and schedules, we've created Course QuickGuides for all of our online prerequisite courses.Download the QuickGuide to Nutrition by completing the form below.
Syllabus Overview for HNUTR 453-DL Nutrition
Offered: Fall, Spring, Summer
- Visit our online bookstore for the most up to date textbook and course material information
Topics you will study
• Micronutrients: Vitamin and Minerals
• Water and the Electrolytes
• Nutrient Digestion through the Body
• Nutrients involved in Bone Health, Energy Metabolism and Blood Health
• Achieving and Maintaining a Healthy Weight
• Nutrition and Physical Activity
• Nutrition Through the Life Cycle: Pregnancy, Childhood to Late Adulthood
Other topics covered in the course
• Understanding food labels
• Popular diets, such as the Paleo diet and Clean Eating
• How the food industry shapes America’s waistline
• Keys to longevity
Projects you will complete
• Special diets (renal, diabetic, hypertension) handout
• Nutrition plan final paper
How to plan your time
• All activities are fully asynchronous—there are no required meeting times.
– Self-assessment exercises
– Weekly discussions
– Mastery activities
– Case Studies
– TED talks and podcasts
– Projects and written papers
• We recommend planning several 1-2 hour study blocks throughout the week and checking into the course daily once the discussions begin.
General Course Activities
Nutrition plan project
A student is expected to devote 10-15 hours per week to complete readings and course activities.
This course uses the learning platform software called Desire2Learn (D2L.) D2L integrates text, video, and audio. Before enrolling in the course, please review the D2L system recommendations.