More than 125 alumni, faculty, staff, and friends have contributed over $25,000 to the MGH Institute COVID-19 Student Emergency Fund created by the Office of Development.
The fund, which was launched in early April with a $2,000 challenge gift, was created to assist students as the coronavirus took hold of the country. The effort, which was emailed to the school’s more than 8,200 alumni, has easily eclipsed the initial $10,000 goal, according to Clare McCully, the Institute’s chief development officer.
“Students were approaching us with heartbreaking stories of their serious financial hardships, saying they did not have the money to pay for rent, heat, electricity, or food.” McCully said. “Their lives had been upended in ways we could never have imagined.”
In many cases, she said, they lost part-time jobs and other sources of income—a situation that will continue for the foreseeable future as the crisis wears on.
McCully said donations have ranged from $10 to $2,500. About 80 percent have come from alumni, many of whom have written notes about wanting to support the cause. One alum gave a gift during the first week and promised she’d give again, a pledge she fulfilled. Even a parent of a graduate donated, saying she remembered how the money her daughter received working part time while at the IHP helped her make ends meet.
“This has been a very meaningful campaign because it’s touched the hearts of people and resonated with the entire IHP community,” said McCully. “It shows that they recognize the importance of educating the next generation of health care workers who will help hundreds of patients over their careers.”
Funds have begun to be distributed to students through the Financial Aid office, McCully said.
The campaign is expected to get a boost on May 5, when a coronavirus-themed Giving Tuesday occurs across the country. Donations can still be made by visiting the COVID-19 Student Emergency Fund page.