New Employees Guide
This checklist/guide of resources was created to help support you with your on-boarding experience. We hope this guide helps you become a connected, productive, and thriving member of the Institute community.
Note: Some links in these sections are password protected or can only be accessed within the IHP network. You will have access to these links after your start date.
Your Next Steps
Tour the campus with your manager, faculty mentor, or designated department colleague for introductions with colleagues in the various departments. Obtain your ID badge and employee ID number (you will do this as part of your day one orientation with HR). If you start before attending the day one Institute orientation, HR will provide you instructions for picking up your badge.
Non-exempt staff only must complete online training for recording daily time worked. During your first week, you will use the “Weekly Form” to submit your time. By the end of week one, you will have completed the Kronos training in Healthstream and can begin logging in and logging out through KSS.
Daily Timecard edit form. A weekly form can be completed if you have to report all hours worked in a week via a form. If you have any payroll inquiries, please consult your department timekeeper.
If you will be accessing your IHP email or any of the IHP systems from your home laptop or smart phone, these devices must be encrypted.
Log in to PeopleSoft to fill out your M-4, W-4 and sign up for direct deposit. Direct deposit is required.
Link to PeopleSoft (internal/at work):
- (From your work computer you can get to PeopleSoft following this path:
- Click on "P" tab in the bottom left corner of your screen.
- A menu will pop up, click on the PeopleSoft icon.
- Enter your network user name and password.
- Select HRMS Production.
- Select Self Service.
To access PeopleSoft offsite/at home:
Attend your Occupational Health Services appointment. This is required for all employees.
You should be contacted via email by Occupational Health Services to schedule your appointment. This appointment must be scheduled within two days of hire.
In an effort to expedite the clearance process, please provide the following documentation to MGH
- All immunization records. Most importantly, proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR), either documented vaccinations or with positive titers.
- Documentation of TB screening. If the TB test was positive, please provide a CHEST X RAY REPORT ruling out active TB.
- Set up office voicemail
- Fill in your Mass General Brigham Directory information
- Create your email signature
Work with your program/office manager or coordinator on supplies you need to get started and order your IHP business cards.
Meet with your manager/supervisor to review the following (some of these activities listed below will flow into your first few weeks as well):
- Your schedule
- Your department and job-specific orientation plan
- Job responsibilities, competencies, expectations
- Department’s mission, strategy, values, key functions, policies and procedures, organizational structure, department directory and key department contacts/resources, department calendar, confidentiality information, emergency procedures and plans, necessary health and safety training for your role/department
- Set initial goals/projects/priorities
Use these links to take a virtual tour of the Institute and Charlestown Navy Yard. In addition to this virtual tour, your department will conduct a live campus tour during your first few weeks of employment.
Continue to complete your required online Institute orientation trainings in the HealthStream portal. You have 30 days to complete the following four trainings:
- Employee Assistance Program (8 minutes)
- Institute Compliance (8 minutes)
- Infection Control (25 minutes)
- MGH Code Silver Training (25 minutes)
Meet important people to your role, whether in your department, school, or other areas of the Institute, Mass General, or external business partners.
Work with your manager to determine which department/regular meetings should be on your calendar and what important Institute meetings to add your calendar.
- Events Calendar
- All employees should attend President Milone-Nuzzo's Town Hall Meetings.
- All employees are encouraged to attend the Institute monthly Socials, Holiday party (December), and Employee Appreciation Day (May)
- Staff should attend Staff Council meetings.
Check your paycheck in PeopleSoft and make sure you understand how to read it. If you have any questions contact your HR Representative. Please note: Faculty/Monthly employees will not be able to check their first paycheck till the 26th of the month. Tip: Make this a regular weekly/monthly practice.
Review retirement plans. The IHP has very generous retirement plans for employees. Staff participate in the MGH Cash Balance Retirement Plan and Faculty participate in the Academic Annuity Plan (AAP). Both of these programs are part of an employee’s total compensation. Staff should review the online information on this excellent benefit and meet with their HR Representative if they have any questions. Faculty should meet/contact their designated Professional Staff Benefits Rep to go over the AAP.
The Institute offers Tax Sheltered Annuities [403(b)] options that enable employees to save for retirement voluntarily on a pretax basis.
All Institute employee evaluations are conducted in the spring (typically between April-May). Many departments request faculty and staff complete self evaluations. Talk with your manager about what will be expected of you during this process.
Attend Institute social gatherings to network, connect, and have FUN with your colleagues!
If you travel to work-approved conferences, trainings, or other events or have to purchase something approved on your own credit card, this resource portal provides info on how to submit for reimbursement in PeopleSoft.
Manage your vacation and time off in the IHP Time Off Reporting System. Faculty must use their vacation time from the previous fiscal year between July 1st and August 31. Staff that have earned time above the allowable max will have excess hours roll over to their ESL bank.
Review your benefits anytime in PeopleSoft. Make sure they are working for you. Every fall you have the opportunity to make changes to your benefits during open enrollment. These changes take effect on Jan 1. You can also make changes to your benefits during the year with a qualifying life event. Learn more about benefits in AskMyHR.