Syllabus Overview for HSTATS-452 Statistical Computing in R
Offered: Fall, Spring, Summer
Visit our online bookstore for the most up to date textbook and course material information
R and RStudio free statistical software
Topics You Will Study
Within R, you will learn:
- How to read data
- How to manage different types of variables and missing values
- How to work with data frames
- How to create functions
- How to generate data summaries
- Strategies for visualization
- How to process text data and use regular expressions
- How to model continuous outcomes using linear regression model
- How to model categorical outcomes using logistic regression model
General Course Activities/How to Plan Your Time
- Self-directed lecture/demonstration (presentation and audio), facilitated online discussions (asynchronous), and assignments.
- Material is released weekly on the course D2L site
- There are no synchronous course meetings.
- 10 homework assignments
- Videos exploring major topics via lecture slides
- Supplementary readings for context on data use
- Available virtual office hours for 1:1 or small group meetings with instructor
This course uses the learning platform software called Desire2Learn (D2L). D2L integrates text, video, and audio. Before enrolling in the course, please review the D2L system recommendations.