Due to the number of questions we get about syllabi, course topics, and schedules, we've created Course QuickGuides for all of our online prerequisite courses.Download the QuickGuide to Biology 1 by completing the form below.
Syllabus Overview for HBIO-450-DL Introduction to Biology 1
Offered: Fall, Spring, Summer
Note: The lab for this course (HBIO 451-DL) requires separate registration.
Visit our online bookstore for the most up to date textbook and course material information
Topics You Will Study
- Atoms, Elements and Matter; Structure of Molecules and Compounds; Water
- Carbohydrates; Lipids; Proteins; Nucleic Acids
- Cells; Eukaryotic Cells
- Cell Membranes; Membrane Transport; Exocytosis and Endocytosis
- Metabolism; Respiration
- Fermentation and Anaerobic Respiration; Overview of Photosynthesis
- Cell Division; Cell Cycle Control
- Sexual Life Cycle Inheritance; Meiosis and Sexual Reproduction
- Mendel’s Principles; Mendelian Inheritance; Non-Mendelian Inheritance; Mendelian Inheritance in Humans
- DNA Replication; Mutations
- Gene Expression; Transcription and Translation
- Cell Differentiation; Animal Structure and Function
General Course Activities/How to Plan Your Time
All activities are fully asynchronous—there are no required meeting times. Our format allows flexibility so you can fit the following course learning activities into your schedule:
- Self-assessment exercises
- Weekly discussions
- Mastery activities
- Case Studies
- Connections Project
We recommend planning several 1 - 2 hour study blocks throughout the week and checking into the course daily once the discussions begin.
This course uses the learning platform software called Desire2Learn (D2L). D2L integrates text, video, and audio. Before enrolling in the course, please review the D2L system recommendations.