Teaching Fellowships: Past Recipients
In 2010 the Office of the Provost created the teaching fellowship program through the Changing Course competition. The purpose of the program is to build a fund of innovations, demonstration projects, and experiences that will contribute to an atmosphere of curricular and instructional excellence at the Institute.
- Lisa Connor, PhD, MSOT
- With Regina Doherty, OTD, OTR/L, FAOTA, FNAP, and Mary Evenson, OTD, MPH, OTR/L, FAOTA, FNAP
- Project: “Designing a Portfolio-Based System to Evaluate Student Competency”
- For course OT-880 Professional Competencies
- Mentor: Diane Jette, PT, DSc, FAPTA
- Janice Goodman, PhD, RN, PMHCNS-BC
- With Patricia Reidy, DNP, FNP-BC, and Susan Stevens, DNP, MS, MEd, PMHNP-BC
- Project: “Development, Implementation, and Evaluation of OSCEs in Psychiatric Mental Health Advanced Practice Courses”
- For courses NP-845 Psychiatric Assessment, Diagnosis and Treatment across the Lifespan and NP-855 Individual Psychotherapeutic Interventions: Adult/Elders
- Mentor: Patricia Reidy, DNP, FNP-BC
- Bonnie Halvorson-Bourgeois, MS, CCC-SLP
- With Yael Arbel, PhD, CCC-SLP, Melissa Feller, MS, CCC-SLP, Charles Haynes, EdD, CCC-SLP, Jennifer Mackey, MA, CCC-SLP, Adele Raade, PhD, CCC-SLP, BC-ANCDS, and Mary Riotte, MS, CCC-SLP,
- Project: “Developing a Rubric for Assessing Clinical Writing”
- For courses CD760-01 and CD760-02 Spoken and Written Clinical Practice Seminars
- Mentor: Lesley Maxwell, MS, CCC-SLP
- Joanna Christodoulou, EdD
- Project: “Improving our understanding of language challenges: Differentiating Experience Versus Disability in English Language Learners,” adjusts the Diagnostic Methods course by adding case studies and videos to help speech-language pathology students distinguish the extent to which language difficulties are attributable to limited English proficiency or a more global disability.
- Mentor: Tiffany Hogan, PhD, CCC-SLP,
- Abraham Ndiwane, EdD, RN, CHES, Antonia Makosky, MSN, MPH, ANP-BC, and Patricia Reidy, DNP, FNP-BC
- Project: “Use of Simulation to Integrate Cultural Competency and Therapeutic Communication,” which revised an Advanced Health Assessment course to incorporate an Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) with male African-American standardized patients. They developed a benchmark video to which students can compare a recording of their encounters with the actor
- Mentor: Diane Mahoney, PhD, APRN, BC, FGSA, FAAN
2013-2014 Teaching Fellowships Recipients
- Susan Hamilton, PhD, RN
- Project: “Applying the Understanding by Design Framework,” in which she revamped the Population Health course for the DNP students by aligning learning objectives with assessments and replacing PowerPoint slides with embedded videos.
- Her mentor was Lynn Foord, PhD, MEd, PT.
- Erin Riley, PT, DPT, NCS, Mary Evenson, OT, MPH, OTR/L, FAOTA, and Meredith O’Dea, MS, CCC-SLP
- Project, “Situating Interprofessional Education: Classroom Cases for Simulated Learning.” They developed a library of interprofessional case studies for use with the Cerner simulated electronic health record, available to all faculty through D2L.
- Their mentor was Cindy Zadai, PT, DPT, MS, CCS, FAPTA.
2012-2013 Teaching Fellowships Recipients
- Marianne Beninato, PT, DPT, PhD: "Reconstructing Human Gross Anatomy Based on Constructivist Learning Theory"
- Tracy Brudvig, PT, DPT, PhD, OCS: "The Use of Reflection to Facilitate Active Learning"
- Gail Gall, PhD, APRN, BC: "Inclusive Excellence in Clinical Education"
2011-2012 Teaching Fellowships Recipients
- Jeanne Cartier, PhD, PMHCNS-BC and Lena Sorensen, PhD, RN: "Utilizing Team Based Learning in a Hybrid DNP Course"
- Douglas Haladay, DPT, MGH, OCS, CSCS and Laura Plummer, PT, DPT, MS, NCS: "Development and Application of Virtual Interactive Patient Scenario(s) for Clinical Decision Making"
- Charles Haynes, EdD, CCC-SLP: "Proposal to Develop an Online Bilingual Literacy Course"
- Margaret Mahoney, PhD, MS, RN: "Community Based Participatory Research Proposal"
- Patricia A. Reidy, DNP, MS, APRN, BC, FNP and Kelly Macauley, PT, DPT, GCS, CCS: "Developing a Standardized Patient Program for Interprofessional Education"
- Antonia Makosky, MSN, MPH, ANP-BC: "Incorporating Simulation and Active Learning into Primary Care III seminar - Adding Mock OSCE Testing to Seminar Experience"
- Eleonor Pusey-Reid, RN, DNP, MS, MEd, CCRN: "Creating a Student-Centered Learning Environment"