The general test is required for admission and must have been taken within 5 years of application.* A copy of the score report should be uploaded directly to your online application. Score reports can be obtained by contacting Educational Testing Service (www.ets.org). The institution code for MGH Institute of Health Professions is 3513.
*In select circumstances, an applicant may be eligible to waive the GRE. Interested applicants may apply for a waiver of the GRE by submitting the School of Nursing GRE Waiver Request Form. Please submit the form well before the application deadline in order to ensure that your request can be reviewed in a timely manner.
GRE Waiver Request Guidelines: The GRE may be waived for applicants, with program approval, if an applicant is able to provide official documentation of having met one of the following criteria:
- Taken the MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) and achieved competitive scores, as determined by the admissions committee. Review and/or subsequent approval of waiver requests cannot be given until an official copy of the MCAT score report is received in the Office of Admissions. Score reports can be obtained using the MCAT Testing History (THx) System.
- Earned a master's degree or higher
- Successfully completed, with a grade of B or better, two or more courses within the MGH Institute program to which you are applying:
- This does not include prerequisite courses
- In order to qualify for the waiver, one of the two courses taken must be:
- Advanced Pathophysiology (NP-715)
- The second course can be any course within the program to which you are applying
The language of instruction at MGH IHP is English and a high level of proficiency in both written and spoken English is required. If English is not your first language, or you have graduated from an undergraduate program in a non-English speaking country, or with instruction in a language other than English, you must demonstrate English language proficiency as part of your application to IHP. In some circumstances, demonstrating English language proficiency may be required even if you are a citizen of a country whose primary language is English.
Applicants whose first language is not English must provide test scores from either the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). The test must have been taken within two years of the application deadline and official score reports are required.
Minimum TOEFL (internet-based) requirement is 80 and the minimum IELTS requirement is 6.5.
TOEFL and IELTS test requirements are automatically waived for students for whom English is a first language from the following countries: United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada (except Quebec).
IHP has a waiver process for applicants who can demonstrate a high level of proficiency with English through means other than testing. For more information on waivers, please contact the admissions office.
For TOEFL, score reports can be obtained by contacting Educational Testing Service (ETS). MGH Institute of Health Professions code is 3513.
For IELTS, a Test Report Form may be mailed to MGH Institute of Health Professions and score information will be verified by IHP directly. You may designate up to 5 schools to receive Test Report Forms at the time you register for the test. To request additional Test Report Forms, contact your test center.