Directions to the Shouse Building
Directions if arriving by:
- Subway/Commuter Rail
- Public Bus #93
- Partners Shuttles
- Local Motion Shuttle
- Inner Harbor Ferry
- View interactive map
- Printable map of Campus and Navy Yard (PDF)
- Walking/Biking map to and from North Station
- Parking options for students, employees, and visitors
Arriving by Car
Please note that due to the street numbering used inside the Charlestown Navy Yard, Mapquest, Google Maps and other online map services often show "36 First Avenue" as being 1-2 blocks away from its actual location. To get accurate location for map services use as a search term: 36 First Avenue, Boston 02129.
Directions to the Shouse Building
From the North via I-93: Take exit 28 "Boston/Sullivan Square/Charlestown" to Maffa Way. Take a slight right onto Rutherford Avenue. Get in the left hand lane and turn left onto Chelsea Street. Follow Chelsea Street to the 3rd traffic light and turn right at 5th Street ("Gate 4"). Go one block, then turn left onto First Avenue.
From the North via Route 1 South: Follow Route 1S over Tobin Bridge ($3 toll). Take "Charlestown/Somerville" exit. At first light, turn right onto Rutherford Avenue and bear immediately into the left-turn lane. At the light, turn left onto Chelsea Street. Follow Chelsea Street to third traffic light and turn right at 5th Street ("Gate 4"). Go one block, then turn left onto First Avenue.
From the South via I-93: Take the Government Center, Exit 23. Stay in the right-hand lane. Bear right as you exit the tunnel. At set of lights take a left onto Cross Street. Turn slightly right onto Joe Tecce Way/North Washington Street. Go through two sets of lights. Go over the bridge. North Washington Street turns into Rutherford Street/MA-99. At the end of bridge turn right onto Chelsea Street. Follow Chelsea Street to third traffic light and turn right at 5th Street ("Gate 4"). Go one block, then turn left onto First Avenue.
Alternately, drivers wishing to avoid TD Garden (formerly the Fleet Center) event congestion, should stay on I-93 and pass over the Zakim Bridge to Exit 28, "Sullivan Square". At the end of the off ramp, head toward the Schrafft's building into the rotary, turn onto Bunker Hill Street and take it all the way to Chelsea Street. Turn right onto Chelsea Street and make an immediate left onto 5th Street ("Gate 4"). Go one block, (then turn left onto First Avenue.
From the West: Take the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) to I-93 North. Follow directions for "From the South via I-93," above.
Directions to the Main Parking Garage (Building 199) in Charlestown Navy Yard:
- Follow the driving directions above to Chelsea Street.
- Follow Chelsea Street to the fourth traffic light.
- Turn right onto 13th Street.
- Take the first left turn onto 5th Avenue.
- The entrance to the Building 199 parking garage is on your right, in the first block.
- See more information on visitor parking
Directions to Parking at OCC and 2CC:
There is parking at the Nautica Garage across the street from 2CC. It is advisable to either take the Partners Shuttle, the Local Motion Shuttle, or park in the garage in Building 199.
Walking Directions from Building 199 Parking Garage to the Shouse Building.
- Go to the pedestrian exit of the parking garage, which is on 13th Street.
- Turn left on 13th Street and walk two blocks to First Avenue.
- Cross the street and turn right onto First Avenue.
- Walk 2 1/2 blocks to Building 36. The entrance is halfway down the building and has an awning with "36" and the Institute's logo.
Arriving by Subway/Commuter Rail
Take the commuter rail or either the Green or Orange subway line to North Station. Visit the official MBTA website for detailed transit information. If you are commuting by subway/commuter rail you should consider getting one of the real-time apps that track real-time schedules and disruptions.
Arriving by Public Bus #93
MBTA Bus #93 (Sullivan Square) From Downtown Crossing or Haymarket. This bus stops at 5th and Chelsea Streets for a short two-block walk to the Shouse Building. See the MBTA Schedule.
Arriving by Partners Shuttles
The Partners Shuttles are free for anyone to use. One goes between Mass General Hospital and the Navy Yard, with stops at North Station. The other goes between North Station and Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, which is also in the Navy Yard.
Partners Shuttle Schedules
Shuttles run from 5:30 a.m. to 1:15 a.m. on weekdays, less frequently on weekends, and do not run on some holidays. See specifics at the linked page for Partners Shuttle Schedules.
There are two Partners shuttle routes for the Charlestown Navy Yard:
- MGH/North Station/Charlestown Navy Yard.
- Spaulding Express: North Station/Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Charlestown Navy Yard.
For directions to catch the MGH/North Station shuttle from OCC & 2CC to buildings in the Navy Yard see Shuttle from OCC and 2CC to Shouse Building, B34, B38, B39, and B79/96.
On the Shuttle Schedule page, choose either Massachusetts General Hospital or Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, depending on which schedule you want.
MGH/North Station/Charlestown Navy Yard
On the Shuttle Schedule page
For the MGH Campus/North Station/Charlestown Navy Yard route:
- To/From drop-down box: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Schedules drop-down box :
- Weekdays: 2nd option: MGH Main Campus, North Stations, One Constitution Road, Charlestown Navy Yard
- Weekends: last option: MGH Main Campus, North Stations, Charlestown Navy Yard
From Massachusetts General Hospital (Mass Gen)
Take any Partners shuttle displaying an "MGH/CNY" placard, which departs Mass Gen from the shuttle stop located between the Jackson Building doors and the Blossom Street loading dock (after 6:00 p.m., it moves to Gray Building doors).
- Monday through Friday: Every 15 minutes 5:30 a.m. - 7:45 p.m.; every half hour 8:00 p.m.- 1:30 a.m.
- Weekends: Every half hour 9:00 a.m. - 5:45 p.m.
From MGH the shuttle stops at North Station in front of the CVS on its way to the Navy Yard. The Spaulding Express picks up at the same location. Note: Beginning on January 2, 2016, the North Station stop in the direction of MGH will be relocated. The stop currently in front of the TD Garden will need to be moved to the corner of Causeway and Beverly St. near the Hubway cycle depot. The stop is being relocated due to construction in front of the TD Garden.
Directions from MGH/North Station/Charlestown Shuttle Stops to the Shouse Building:
- For the Shouse Building get off at the second shuttle stop after North Station (or first on weekends), which is the intersection of Chelsea Street and 5th Street ("Gate 4"). From 5th Street, walk one block to the stop sign, then turn left onto First Avenue. The Shouse Building is one block on the right.
The Partners Shuttle for OCC and 2CC: last shuttle Monday–Friday is 6:45 p.m. There is no weekend shuttle service to 1CC/2CC.
On the Shuttle Schedule page
For Spaulding Express (best choice if you are going to the Building 79/96)
- To/From drop-down box: Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Boston
- From Schedule drop-down box: Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Boston, North Station
From North Station: Take Partners shuttle labeled Spaulding Express. This makes only one stop, by Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in the Charlestown Navy Yard.
Schedule: The Spaulding Express shuttle runs approximately every 10 minutes during its schedule.
- Monday through Friday: The shuttle operates between 6-9 a.m., and 3-6 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: The shuttle operates between 5:30-9:00 a.m.
- Holidays: The shuttle operates between 5:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
Directions from Spaulding Express Shuttle Stop to the Shouse Building.
- The shuttle stop is on 3rd Avenue at the corner of 16th Street
- For Shouse Building
- Go right on 16th street 1 block to First Avenue
- Go right on First Avenue.
- The Shouse Building is four blocks down on the left
To return to Boston from MGH Institute, the MGH shuttle stop for the Shouse Building is on the corner of First Avenue and 7th Street, across the street from 36 First Avenue. The shuttle stop for OCC/2CC is on Constitution Road at "Gate 1" of the Navy Yard. The MGH shuttle also picks up at Building 149 on 13th Street. The Spaulding Express picks up at the stop on 3rd Avenue.
The Partners shuttles are free to all riders.
Arriving by Local Motion Shuttle
The Local Motion Shuttle stops at OCC and 2CC. The stops are in front of the respective buildings on Constitution Plaza.
From North Station to OCC and 2CC: The shuttle leaves from Causeway Street across the street from the TD Garden. It has a sign in the window that says OCC, 2CC.
Local Motion Shuttle Schedule
Monday – Fridays
- 6:45 a.m.–9:45 a.m.
Leaving from North Station every 20 minutes beginning at 6:45 a.m. Last morning service to depart North Station at 9:45 a.m.
- 3:25 p.m.–6:45 p.m.
Leaving from 1 & 2 Constitution Center (OCC & 2CC) every 20 minutes beginning at 3:25 p.m. with the last shuttle departing 2CC at 6:45 p.m.
There is no weekend Local Motion shuttle service.
The Navy Yard can be reached from Long Wharf, (Aquarium stop on the Blue line) via the Inner Harbor Ferry, Route F4. Long Wharf is within walking distance of South Station (Red line) and State Street (Orange, Blue lines). PDF of F4 Schedule.
The ferry drops passengers off at the end of Baxter Road on Pier 3. Walk up Pier 3 to First Avenue. The Shouse Building will be to the right.
The Inner Harbor ferry operates Monday through Friday, with more limited weekend service.
Cost: Inner Harbor Ferry is $3.25 for adults, one way. Fare for Seniors and people with disabilities (with Charlie Transport Access Pass (TAP) Card) is half fare each way. See details of Reduced Fare programs.
Arriving by Bicycle
There is a Hubway bike station near Building 2CC, at the corner of Warren Street and Constitution Road, and another one in front of North Station. Bikes can be taken out of one station and brought to another. View a map of other Hubway bike stations in the greater Boston area.
The Charles River Locks and the Charlestown/North Washington Street Bridge make North Station easily accessible to bikers. The newly opened North Bank Pedestrian Bridge provides bikers with a convenient path to Hubway bike stations at the Lechmere MBTA station (Green line and buses), and 1 Kendall Square (convenient for the Red line) in Cambridge. Bicycle racks are located at Building 36, Building 39, and Building 2CC. It is suggested you use U-bar or chain locks instead of cable locks.
Arriving on Foot
The Charles River Locks and the Charlestown/North Washington Street Bridge make North Station easily accessible to Charlestown pedestrians. These provide 15 to 20 minute scenic walks along the harbor front.