Fundraising for the Community
As part of the vibrant Charlestown Navy Yard neighborhood, the MGH Institute is committed to giving back to the community that gives us so much. From the free care we provide to Massachusetts residents in our three rehabilitation centers to sponsoring the work of numerous Charlestown organizations, the Institute supports the community in a variety of ways.
Three on-campus rehabilitation centers serve the community on a daily basis
- Each year, approximately $1M in free care is provided through three on-campus rehabilitation centers.
- Clients at are seen by graduate students who are supervised by certified, licensed faculty.
- The Speech, Language, and Literacy Center offers specialty services in the areas of aphasia, autism, preschool speech and language disorders, and dyslexia. The Center provides care to 70 families, with approximately 3,500 visits/year.
- The Aphasia Center, part of the Speech, Language, and Literacy Center, assists adults following stroke or traumatic brain injury who have partial or total inability to produce or understand speech. This center assists 65 families, providing approximately 4,000 hours/visits per year.
- The Physical Therapy Center for Clinical Education and Health Promotion provides more than 1,100 hours of free care to 62 individuals in the community who may not otherwise have access to physical therapy care or whose insurance benefits have been exhausted.
- While voluntary donations are accepted for the services at these centers, 99% of the cost is covered by the Institute.
400 students, faculty, and staff participate in an Annual Community Impact Day
- Most recently, more than 1,000 hours of volunteer time were devoted to 34 community organizations during this year’s 4th Annual Community Impact Day.
- Projects included preparing meals at the Boston Rescue Mission, cleaning docks at Courageous Sailing, playing health trivia games at several public schools, engaging in arts and crafts with seniors at the Zelma Lacey House in Charlestown, and reading and providing books at the Charlestown Nursery School Collaborative.
Institute is an annual lead sponsor for Charlestown Boys and Girls Club Road Race
- Proceeds from the road race provide vital operating support for the Charlestown Boys & Girls Club.
- In addition, the Institute’s Physical Therapy Club, a student organization, holds an annual Shoes4Kids Drive for underserved children in Charlestown. Children and teens attending the Charlestown Boys and Girls Club receive properly fitted sneakers, encouraging them to exercise comfortably on a regular basis.
Collecting food and clothing for needy families in Charlestown
- The Student Government Association and the Office of Student and Disability Services collect non-perishable food items for the Harvest on Vine food pantry during the holiday season.
Supporting local children, local community during the holidays
- The Institute collected gifts for 135 disadvantaged children, donating them to the Cambridge Family and Children’s Services and Action for Boston Community Development.
- 20 employees donated their time to gift wrap in a daylong fundraiser for the MA Coalition for the Homeless, A Bed for Every Child Program.
Institute supports local veterans
- The Institute’s faculty and staff supported the Massachusetts Department of Veterans’ Services Welcome Home Initiative with a $2,500 donation that provides a free, full-year membership at any YMCA of Greater Boston branch to veterans who have served in Iraq or Afghanistan since 9/11/01 and who have service-related injuries.
Additional organizations and community activities the Institute supports:
- Alzheimer’s Association’s Alzheimer’s Walk
- American Aphasia Society Annual Aphasia Day
- Artists Group of Charlestown Art in the Park event
- Bunker Hill Community College Scholarship Gala
- Bunker Hill Community Day Breakfast
- Charlestown Chamber of Commerce holiday wreath program
- Charlestown Preservation Society historic house tours program
- Charlestown YMCA community programming
- Community Servings meals program
- Friends of the Charlestown Navy Yard Winter Warm-Up Fundraiser
- Kennedy Center educational programs
- Schwartz Center for Compassionate Care educational programs
- USS Constitution Museum
- We Are Boston New Bostonians event