Directions to the Research Labs
The Research Labs are located in The Center for Health & Rehabilitation Research in Building 79/96 on 13th Street in the Charlestown Navy Yard:
- First Floor:
- Fatigue Research Lab , under the direction of Lisa Wood, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Second Floor:
- BEAM Lab, under the direction of Joanna Christodoulou, EdD
- Brain Recovery Lab, under the direction of Teresa Kimberley, PhD, PT
- Cognitive Neuroscience Group (CNG), under the direction of Yael Arbel, PhD, CCC-SLP, Sofia Vallila Rohter, PhD, CCC-SLP, and Lauryn Zipse, PhD, CCC-SLP
- Speech and Feeding Disorders Lab, under the direction of Jordan Green, PhD
- SAiL Literacy Lab, under the direction of Tiffany Hogan, PhD, CCC-SLP
Use the phone by the entrance door of Building 96 to call the lab you are visiting. A member of the lab team will buzz you in. For the 2nd floor labs take the elevator at the end of the hall on the ground floor.
If you want to search for the location or put it into your GPS, use as the search term: 79 13th Street, Boston, MA 02129
- Building 199 in the Navy Yard ($4 minimum, $20 maximum). Weekend access is by credit card only. Building 199 is a block away from the research building.
- There also is limited 2-hour, on-street, meter parking for visitors near the MGH Institute's campus in the Navy Yard. You may use coins or debit/credit cards for meters.
The Research Labs at MGH Institute are easily accessible.
Directions if arriving by:
There are directions for arriving by inner harbor ferry, by bike, or by foot on the MGH Institute main directions page.
Arriving by Car
These directions guide visitors to the Research Labs in Building 79/96, and to the main parking garage (Building 199) in the Charlestown Navy Yard.
Please note that due to the street numbering used inside the Charlestown Navy Yard, Mapquest, Google Maps and other online map services will lead you astray unless you use as your search term: 79 13th Street, Boston, MA 02129.
Directions to Building 79/96 From the North via I-93: Take exit 28 "Boston/Sullivan Square/Charlestown" to Maffa Way. Take a slight right onto Rutherford Avenue. Get in the left hand lane and turn left onto Chelsea Street. Follow Chelsea Street to the 4th traffic light and turn right at 13th Street ("Gate 5"). Building 79/96 is the first building on the right.
From the North via Route 1 South: Follow Route 1S over Tobin Bridge ($3 toll). Take "Charlestown/Somerville" exit. At first light, turn right onto Rutherford Avenue and bear immediately into the left-turn lane. At the light, turn left onto Chelsea Street. Follow Chelsea Street to 4th traffic light and turn right at 13th Street ("Gate 5"). Building 79/96 is the first building on the right.
From the South via I-93: Take the Government Center, Exit 23. Stay in the right-hand lane. Turn right onto Cross Street. Turn slightly right onto Joe Tecce Way/North Washington Street. North Washington Street turns into Rutherford Street/MA-99. At the end of bridge turn right onto Chelsea Street. Follow Chelsea Street to 4th traffic light and turn right at 13th Street ("Gate 5"). Building 79/96 is the first building on the right.
Alternately, drivers wishing to avoid TD Garden (formerly the Fleet Center) event congestion, should stay on I-93 and pass over the Zakim Bridge to Exit 28, "Sullivan Square". At the end of the off ramp, head toward the Schrafft's building into the rotary, turn onto Bunker Hill Street and take it all the way to Chelsea Street. Turn left onto Chelsea Street and take the first right onto 13th Street ("Gate 4"). Building 79/96 is the first building on the right.
From the West: Take the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) to I-93 North. Follow directions for "From the South via I-93," above.
Directions to the Main Parking Garage (Building 199) in Charlestown Navy Yard:
- Follow the driving directions above to Building 79/96.
- Take the first left turn onto 5th Avenue.
- The entrance to the Building 199 parking garage is on your right, in the first block.
- Parking rates are $3 per hour, $14 max.
There is also limited 2-hour, on-street, metered parking in the Charlestown Navy Yard.
Arriving by Subway/Commuter Rail
Take the commuter rail or either the Green or Orange subway line to North Station. Visit the official MBTA website for detailed transit information.
From North station, take a Partners shuttle (see below), to our Research Labs.
Arriving by Public Bus #93
MBTA Bus #93 (Sullivan Square) From Downtown Crossing or Haymarket. This bus stops at the corner of Bunker Hill and Chelsea Streets for a two-block walk to Building 79/96. See the MBTA Schedule.
Arriving by Partners Shuttles
The Partners shuttles are free for all riders.
There are two Partners shuttle routes for the Charlestown Navy Yard:
- Spaulding Express: North Station/Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Charlestown Navy Yard.
- MGH/North Station/Charlestown Navy Yard.
On the Shuttle Schedule page, choose either Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital or Massachusetts General Hospital:
The Spaulding Express is the most convenient choice if you are going to Building 79/96.
On the Shuttle Schedule page
- To/From drop-down box: Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Boston
- From Schedule drop-down box: Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Boston, North Station
From North Station: The shuttle stops at North Station on Haverhill Street at the corner of Causeway Street across the street from the TD Garden. Take Partners shuttle labeled Spaulding Express. This makes only one stop, by Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in the Charlestown Navy Yard.
Schedule: The Spaulding Express shuttle runs approximately every 10 minutes during its schedule.
- Monday through Friday: The shuttle operates between 6-9 a.m., and 3-6 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: The shuttle operates between 5:30-9:00 a.m.
- Holidays: The shuttle operates between 5:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
Directions from Spaulding Express Shuttle Stop to the Research Labs.
- The shuttle stop is on 3rd Avenue at the corner of 16th Street
- Walk 1 block down 3rd Avenue to 13th Street.
- Cross the street.
- Head north (to the right, towards Chelsea Street) 1 block.
- Building 79/96 is the last building on the left before Chelsea Street.
MGH/North Station/Charlestown Navy Yard
On the Shuttle Schedule page
For the MGH/North Station/Charlestown Navy Yard route:
- To/From drop-down box: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Schedules drop-down box :
- Weekdays: 2nd option: MGH Main Campus, North Stations, One Constitution Road, Charlestown Navy Yard
- Weekends: last option: MGH Main Campus, North Stations, Charlestown Navy Yard
From Massachusetts General Hospital (Mass Gen)
Take any Partners shuttle displaying an "MGH/CNY" placard, which departs Mass Gen from the shuttle stop located between the Jackson Building doors and the Blossom Street loading dock (after 6:00 p.m., it moves to Gray Building doors).
- Monday through Friday: Every 15 minutes 5:30 a.m. –7:45 p.m.; every half hour 8:00 p.m.–1:30 a.m.
- Weekends: Every half hour 9:00 a.m.–5:45 p.m.
From MGH the shuttle stops at North Station on Haverhill Street at the intersection with Causeway Street across the street from the TD Gardens, on its way to the Navy Yard. The Spaulding Express picks up at the same location. Shuttles coming from the Navy Yard also stop on Haverhill Street. MGH shuttles will display signs for MGH or CNY (Charlestown Navy Yard) to let you know the destination of a shuttle.
Directions from MGH/North Station/Charlestown Shuttle Stops to the MGH Institute:
For Building 79/96 get off at the last stop in front of Building 149 on 13th Street. The driver announces Building 149. Walk 1 block north (towards Chelsea Street) to Building 79/96.
To go from OCC or 2CC to the research building, take the shuttle at "Gate 1" on Constitution Road going towards the Navy Yard, then follow directions above. Note, the MGH/North Station/Charlestown shuttle going to Boston and to the Navy Yard stops at "Gate 1". Be sure to ask the driver whether his shuttle is going towards the Navy Yard.
To return to Boston from the Research Labs, the MGH shuttle stop is in front of Building 149 on 13th Street. The Spaulding Express picks up at the stop on 3rd Avenue.
The Partners shuttles are free to all riders.