Allison Cirino, MS, CGC
Allison Cirino, MS, CGC, is Associate Professor in the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences and Director of Student Research in the Master of Science in the Genetic Counseling program at MGH Institute of Health Professions. Since 2004 she has been a genetic counselor in the Brigham and Women’s Hospital Cardiovascular Genetics Center where she is involved in both patient care and ongoing clinical research activities in inherited heart disease.
She is currently the co-chair of the National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC) Cardiovascular special interest group as well as a member of the ClinGen Inherited Cardiomyopathy Expert Panel. She also serves as the NSGC Liaison to the American Heart Association Genomics and Precision Medicine Council.
Ms. Cirino's research interests include quality of life in patients with inherited heart disease, management of incidental cardiogenetic findings, service delivery models in cardiogenetics, and family communication.
BS, Biology, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA
MS, Genetic Counseling, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
1. Harris S, Cirino AL, Carr CW, et al. The uptake of family screening in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and an online video intervention to facilitate family communication. Mol Genet Genomic Med. 2019; e940
2. Cirino AL, Seidman CE, Ho CY. Genetic Testing and Counseling for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Cardiol Clin. 2019 Feb; 37 (1):35-43. Epub 2018
3. Ho CY, Day SM, Ashley EA, Michels M, Pereira AC, Jacoby D, Cirino AL, Fox JC, Lakdawala NK, Ware JS, Caleshu CA, Helms AS, Colan SD, Girolami F, Cecchi F, Seidman CE, Sajeev G, Signorovitch J, Green EM, Olivotto I. Genotype and Lifetime Burden of Disease in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: Insights from the Sarcomeric Human Cardiomyopathy Registry (SHaRe). Circulation. 2018 Oct 2; 138 (14): 1387-1398
4. Groarke JD, Galazka PZ, Cirino AL, Lakdawala NK, Thune JJ, Bundgaard H, Roav EJ, Levine RA, Ho CY. Intrinsic mitral valve alterations in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy sarcomere mutation carriers. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2018 Oct 1: 19(10): 1109-1116.
5. DeFilippis EM, Rehm H, Cirino AL, Lakdawala NK. The Lifespan of Genetic Testing. Am J Med. 2018