Advanced Practice Nursing, Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Specialty
The Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPC NP) advanced practice nursing specialty prepares students to provide comprehensive patient-centered, quality care to the entire spectrum of adults, including young adults, adults, and older frail adults.
School of Nursing Programs Offering the Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Specialty
With the U.S. geriatric population projected to double by 2030, there is a growing need for primary care nurse practitioners with expertise in addressing the complex care needs of seniors. The Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (NP) specialty will prepare you for this opportunity.
As a student in this track, you'll learn to:
- Provide primary care to geriatric patients as well as adolescents (ages 13+), young adults and adults
- Improve quality of life through comprehensive assessment and management of health and illness in the context of individuals, families, health care settings and society
Our students come from a variety of backgrounds. Many hold degrees in majors such as public health, biology or psychology. The majority have worked professionally in community service or research.
Our faculty members are active practitioners who bring the latest practices in adult-gerontology primary care into the classroom. In addition, they're helping to shape the future of health care through their research and scholarship. The small size of our School of Nursing programs ensures you'll receive personalized attention from all your professors.
Boston is one of the best locations in the world in which to study a health profession. At the MGH Institute, you'll enjoy unparalleled access to clinical placements in the Boston region as well as throughout Massachusetts. During your downtime, you can explore the city's charming neighborhoods, restaurants, shops, museums and more.
A Path to Board Certification
Program graduates are eligible to take the Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner certification examination from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. In 2015, 96 percent of our graduates passed the ANCC exam.
Adult-gerontology primary care NPs can work in a range of settings, including:
- Primary care office-based clinics
- Primary care clinics affiliated with hospitals or community health centers
- Specialty practices (e.g. neurology, infectious disease, oncology, orthopaedics)
- Geriatric settings (e.g. long-term care centers, acute rehabilitation facilities, skilled nursing facilities)
- Palliative care settings
- College health settings, travel health clinics
Meet Our Faculty
- Nancy Baker
- Amy Bruno (specialty coordinator)
- Kathy Hall (specialty coordinator)
- Antonia Makosky (specialty coordinator)
- Eileen Searle
- Sara Smoller
Additional Information on the Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing
- The National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- The American Association of Critical Care Nurses
- Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association (GAPNA)
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP)
AACN (2010). Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Competencies. Washington, D.C. Author.