Advanced Practice Nursing, Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Specialty
The Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPC NP) advanced practice nursing specialty prepares students to provide comprehensive patient-centered, quality care to the entire spectrum of adults, including young adults, adults, and older frail adults.
School of Nursing Programs Offering the Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Specialty
This course of study emphasizes improving quality of life through comprehensive assessment and management of health and illness in the context of individuals, families, health care settings, and society.
The adult-gerontology primary care NP is a provider of direct health care services. Within this role, the AGPC nurse practitioner (AGPCNP) synthesizes theoretical, scientific, and contemporary clinical knowledge for the assessment and management of both health and illness states. The AGPCNP competencies incorporate the health promotion, health protection, disease prevention, and management focus of the adult-gerontology primary care NP practice (AACN, 2010).
Core Competencies are based on the AACN Adult-Gerontology Primary Care NP Competencies (2010):
- Health Promotion, health protection, disease prevention, and treatment
- Assessment of health status
- Diagnosis of health status
- Plan of care and implementation of treatment
- Nurse Practitioner-Patient Relationship
- Teaching-Coaching function
- Professional Role
- Managing and negotiating health care delivery systems
- Monitoring and ensuring the quality of health care practice
Cultural and spiritual competence
Certification for the Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
Upon completion of the course of study, graduates are eligible to take the Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner certification exam given by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). This exam is expected to launch in 2013. For more information see: www.nursecredentialing.org
Additional Information on the Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing
- The National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- The American Association of Critical Care Nurses
- Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association (GAPNA)
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP)
AACN (2010). Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Competencies. Washington, D.C. Author.
Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Specialty Coordinator: Amy Bruno, PhD (c), ANP-BC