Advanced Practice Nursing, Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Specialty
School of Nursing Programs Offering the Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Specialty
The demand for acute care nurse practitioners (NPs) is on the rise throughout the United States. The Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner specialty will prepare you to excel in this role.
As a student in this track, you'll learn to provide comprehensive, patient-centered, high-quality care to young adults, adults and seniors. The course of study emphasizes improving quality of life through comprehensive assessment and management of health and illness in the context of individuals, families, health care settings and society.
Our faculty members are active practitioners who bring the latest practices in adult-gerontology acute care into the classroom. In addition, they're helping to shape the future of health care through their research and scholarship. The small size of our School of Nursing programs ensures you'll receive personalized attention from all your professors.
Boston is one of the best locations in the world in which to study a health profession. At the MGH Institute, you'll enjoy unparalleled access to clinical placements at the Massachusetts General Hospital Burn Center, Pine Street Inn (serving homeless adults) and other area facilities. And during your downtime, you can explore the city's charming neighborhoods, restaurants, shops, museums and more.
A Path to Board Certification
Program graduates are eligible to take the Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner certification examination through the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
- Adult-gerontology acute care NPs can work in a range of acute care settings in hospitals, such as:
- Emergency departments, including observation units
- Intensive care units
- Hospital wards
- Specialty areas, including surgery and cardiology
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing
- The National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- The American Association of Critical Care Nurses
- Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association (GAPNA)
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP)
Meet Our Faculty:
- Josh Dion, DNP, ACNP-BC, RN-BC (Specialty Coordinator)
- Dermot Lahey
- John Pilakis
- Dr. Al-Qamari
- Stephen Coffey