Syllabus Overview for HBIO-450-DL Introduction to Biology 1
Offered: Fall, Spring, Summer
- Visit our online bookstore for the most up to date textbook and course material information
- Online Resources
Note: The lab for this course (HBIO 451-DL) requires separate registration.
- Biochemistry I: Atoms, Elements and Matter; Structure of Molecules and Compounds; Water
- Biochemistry II: Carbohydrates; Lipids; Proteins; Nucleic Acids
- Cell Biology I: Cells; Eukaryotic Cells
- Cell Biology II: Cell Membranes; Membrane Transport; Exocytosis and Endocytosis
- Energetics I: Metabolism; Respiration
- Energetics II: Fermentation and Anaerobic Respiration; Overview of Photosynthesis
- Cell Division I: Cell Division; Cell Cycle Control
- Cell Division II: Sexual Life Cycle Inheritance; Meiosis and Sexual Reproduction
- Genetics I: Mendel’s Principles; Mendelian Inheritance; Non-Mendelian Inheritance; Mendelian Inheritance in Humans
- DNA I: DNA; DNA Replication; Mutations
- DNA II: Gene Expression; Transcription and Translation
Animal Structure and Function: Cell Differentiation; Animal Structure and Function
General Course Activities
A student is expected to devote 10-15 hours per week for readings and course activities. If taking the course concurrently with HBIO-451-DL, a student is expected to devote 13-18 hours to coursework per week.
This course uses the learning platform software called Desire2Learn (D2L). D2L integrates text, video, and audio. Before enrolling in the course, please review the D2L system recommendations.