Due to the number of questions we get about syllabi, course topics, and schedules, we've created Course QuickGuides for all of our online prerequisite courses.Download the QuickGuide to Biochemistry by completing the form below.
Syllabus Overview for HBIO-454-DL Biochemistry with Lab
Combined Lecture/Lab, 4 credits
Offered: Fall, Spring, Summer
Prerequisites: Biology 1 and Chemistry 1.
- Visit our online bookstore for any textbook information
- LAB KIT: Your kit is delivered to your house. Many materials are the same as those used in onsite labs. You have 3-4 weeks to complete the labs. You have support from your instructor, lab TA and kit manufacturer. You write a report describing your findings and conclusions. You discuss your findings with peers and instructors.
Topics you will study
• Eukaryotic cells, DNA and RNA, Proteins
• DNA Replication, RNA: Transcription
• Protein Synthesis, Gene Regulation
• Proteins II, Enzymes
• Biological membranes, Signal Transduction
• Bioenergetics, Carbohydrate Metabolism
• Lipid Metabolism, Amino Acid Metabolism
• Metabolic Interrelationships, Hormones
• Cell Cycle, Digestion and Absorption
• Vitamins, Minerals, Macronutrients
General Course Activities/How To Plan Your Time
– Weekly discussion
– Midterm Exam
– Final Exam
– Lab Reports
• We recommend planning several 1-2 hour study blocks throughout the week and checking into the course daily once the discussions begin.
Labs you will complete
• General biological safety
• Cell structure and function
• Energy and photosynthesis
This course uses the learning platform software called Desire2Learn (D2L.) D2L integrates text, video, and audio. Before enrolling in the course, please review the D2L system recommendations.