Due to the number of questions we get about syllabi, course topics, and schedules, we've created Course QuickGuides for all of our online prerequisite courses.Download the QuickGuide to General Chemistry 1 by completing the form below.
Syllabus Overview for HCHEM-453-DL General Chemistry I with Lab
Note: The lab for this course is included; no additional registration is required.
- Visit our online bookstore for the most up to date textbook and course material information
- Online Resources
- LAB KIT: Your kit is delivered to your house. Many materials are the same as those used in onsite labs. You have 3-4 weeks to complete the labs. You have support from your instructor, lab TA and kit manufacturer. You write a report describing your findings and conclusions. You discuss your findings with peers and instructors.
• Atoms, Molecules and Ions
• Reactions in Aqueous Solutions
• Electronic Structure of Atoms
• Periodic Properties of the Elements
• Basics of Chemical Bonding
• Molecular Geometry and Bonding Theories
• Solids and Modern Materials
General Course Activities/How To Plan Your Time
– Weekly discussions
– Lab experiments and reports
• We recommend planning several 1-2 hour study blocks throughout the week and checking into the course daily once the discussions begin.
Labs you will complete
• Data measurement
• The scientific method
• Electron configuration
• Acids and bases
• Chemical reactions
• Report submission
• Molecular models
• The mole and Avogadro’s number
• Ideal gas law
This course uses the learning platform software called Desire2Learn (D2L.) D2L integrates text, video, and audio. Before enrolling in the course, please review the D2L system recommendations.