Due to the number of questions we get about syllabi, course topics, and schedules, we've created Course QuickGuides for all of our online prerequisite courses.Download the QuickGuide to General Chemistry 2 by completing the form below.
Syllabus Overview for HCHEM-454-DL General Chemistry II
Note: The lab for this course is included; no additional registration is required.
Offered: Fall, Spring
Please visit our online bookstore for the most up to date information regarding required course materials.
LAB KIT: Your kit is delivered to your house. Many materials are the same as those used in onsite labs. You have 3-4 weeks to complete the labs. You have support from your instructor, lab TA and kit manufacturer. You write a report describing your findings and conclusions. You discuss your findings with peers and instructors.
Topics you will study
• Liquid and Intermolecular Forces
• Properties of Solutions
• Chemical Kinetics
• Chemical Equilibrium
• Acid–Base Equilibria
• Additional Aspects of Aqueous Equilibria
• Chemistry of the Environment and Thermodynamics
• Nuclear Chemistry
• Chemistry of the Nonmetals
• Transition Metals and Coordination Chemistry
• The Chemistry of Life
General Course Activities/How To Plan Your Time
– Weekly discussions
– Lab experiments and reports
• We recommend planning several 1-2 hour study blocks throughout the week and checking into the course daily once the discussions begin.
Labs you will complete
• Chemistry of enzymes
• Pressure and stoichiometry
• Stoichiometry of an acid base reaction
• Acids, bases and pH buffers
• Conservation of energy
• Oxidation states of manganese
• Chemistry biological molecules
• Biological molecules
This course uses the learning platform software called Desire2Learn (D2L.) D2L integrates text, video, and audio. Before enrolling in the course, please review the D2L system recommendations.