Advanced Practice Nursing, Veteran-Centric Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Specialty
The Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPC NP) advanced practice nursing specialty with a focus on providing veteran-centric health care prepares students to provide comprehensive patient-centered, quality care to the entire spectrum of adults, including young adults, adults, and older frail adults.
School of Nursing Programs Offering the Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Specialty
Veteran-Centric Program Highlights
- This course of study emphasizes improving quality of life through comprehensive assessment and management of health and illness in the context of individuals, families, health care settings, and society.
- Students are prepared to synthesize theoretical, scientific, and contemporary clinical knowledge for the assessment and management of both health and illness states.
- Students enrolled in this special cohort will have intensive clinical placements during selected semesters in Veterans Administration hospitals and clinics, where students will have the opportunity to learn about and provide care for the Veteran population.
Featured VA Hospital
The MGH Institute has established a partnership with the White River Junction VA Medical Center in Vermont where students receive a grant-funded stipend to offset costs of housing and travel. Upon graduation from the program, students are eligible to apply for a one-year paid residency at the White River Junction VA Medical Center, providing an exciting opportunity for those interested in a career working as a nurse in the VA Health Care system.
Core Competencies are based on the AACN Adult-Gerontology Primary Care NP Competencies
- Health promotion, health protection, disease prevention, and treatment
- Nurse Practitioner-Patient Relationship
- Teaching-coaching function
- Professional role
- Managing and negotiating health care delivery systems
- Monitoring and ensuring the quality of health care practice
- Cultural humility and spiritual competence
Certification for the Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
Upon completion of the course of study, graduates are eligible to take the Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner certification exam given by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP). For more information see: www.nursecredentialing.org or www.aanp.org
In addition to completing the MGH Institute of Health Professions application, applicants interested in the Veteran-Centric Adult-Gerontology Primary Care track must also complete a supplemental essay.
Learn more about becoming an Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing
- The National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- The American Association of Critical Care Nurses
- Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association (GAPNA)
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP)