Entry-Level Doctor of Physical Therapy Curriculum
The New MGH Institute DPT Curriculum Design
- 15 four-week integrated modules (each module is a single course) over 2 1/2 years
- 25 hours of class/clinic time each week per module, including:
- 2 hours per week of case-based, integrative seminar
- Up to 1/2 day per week of experiential learning in simulated or actual patient care activities
- Key unifying curricular threads woven throughout your course of study
- Out of class time for self-directed learning, group meetings, clinical skills practice
- Culminating in a year-long, full-time, paid internship for the majority of students
This design focuses on developing clinical reasoning and patient/client management skills in hands-on/team-based settings as you master the coursework.
Are you someone who thrives on taking responsibility for you learning rather than absorbing information passively in lectures? Then this is the program for you.
Why This Dynamic Approach?
Our curriculum incorporates "best practice" strategies and reimagines how to enhance your professional preparation.
The US health care delivery system is complex and continually changing. Preparing physical therapists that are ready for the challenges of this dynamic environment requires an approach that moves new graduates to advanced levels of practice readiness.
- Our DPT Program uses an innovative approach to physical therapist education aimed at developing practitioners with strong clinical reasoning, leadership, and advocacy skills that match the demands of today’s health care environment.
- The DPT curriculum uses a modular format built on a foundation of case-based, self-directed and collaborative learning:
- Sequential 4-week case-based courses
- Integrated cross-curricular threads are embedded within each course to promote development of your ability to model the clinical decision-making and critical thinking processes of skilled physical therapists. Learn more about these integrated cross-curricular threads.
Recognizing the responsibility to prepare members of a doctoring profession, we offer you a program that prepares self-directed, life-long, collaborative learners. Read more on the philosophy and goals of this curriculum.
From the day you start the MGH Institute DPT program, we work together as a teaching-learning team to bring you to what we believe will be advanced levels of practice readiness.
DPT Curriculum plan and course descriptions for students entering as of June 2016.
Curriculum Plans for students entering in prior years:
Please visit our catalog page and select the academic year in which you entered.
If you attended prior to 2007-2008 and require a copy of your curriculum, please contact the Registrar's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.