To Pursue a New Career in Health Care, MGH Institute of Health Professionsin Boston is the Place to Attend
When it comes to pursuing a satisfying health care career, MGH Institute of Health Professions in Boston is as close to a one-stop destination as can be found.
The fields for which the graduate school’s seven direct-entry degree programs prepare students are among the top 37 professions listed in the new “100 Best Jobs” list published by U.S News & World Report.
The overall number-one ranked profession on the list is physician assistant, followed by nurse practitioner (#3), speech-language pathologist (#7), occupational therapist (#19), physical therapist (#21), genetic counselor (#36), and registered nurse (#37).
According to US News, the rankings are compiled using several factors including pay, career advancement, and work-life balance. "One thing the global pandemic has reinforced is the need and value of health care professionals," said Antonio Barbera, consumer advice editor at U.S. News, in a release. "This year’s rankings affirm that it is a good career sector for many, with typically high median salaries and low unemployment rates."
In addition, five of the IHP’s programs received impressive marks in the current U.S News’ “2021 Best Graduate Schools” list, released last spring.
- The Doctor of Physical Therapy program remains the top-ranked program in New England and is 9th out of 217 ranked programs in the country, placing it in the top 4% of all physical therapy programs.
- Also maintaining its top rank in New England is the Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology, which is ranked 10th in the country out of 260 ranked programs. It is in the top 4% of all speech-language pathology programs.
- The Doctor of Occupational Therapy, in its first year of eligibility, is ranked 23rd in the country. The OTD, the first entry-level doctoral program developed in New England, is in the top 12% out of 193 ranked programs.
- The Master of Science in Nursing, which was among the country’s first direct-entry programs, placed in the top 30% of nurse practitioner programs in the United States.
- The Doctor of Nursing Practice is ranked second in Greater Boston. The post-professional program offers advanced-practice nurses a path to expand their knowledge and leadership skills.