MGH Nurses' Alumnae Association
For Diploma Graduates of the Massachusetts General Hospital School of Nursing
MGH School of Nursing Annual Homecoming Weekend
The Massachusetts General Hospital Nurses' Alumnae Association (MGHNAA) hosts a Homecoming Reunion weekend in Boston every fall. All graduates of the MGH School of Nursing are invited to attend and participate. The 2014 Homecoming weekend took place September 26 and 27, 2014:
Friday, September 26, 2014:
Continuing Education Program: Trauma and Resilience
Co-Sponsored by the MGH Institute of Health Professions School of Nursing
Friday, September 26, 2014 – O’Keefe Auditorium, Massachusetts General Hospital
6.0 Nursing Education Contact Hours
- 8:00-8:30 a.m. Registration and Coffee
- 8:30-9:00 a.m.
- Welcome and Greetings Margery Eramo RN FCN (’59) President MGHNAA
- Update and greeting from MGH Institute for Patient Care Laurie Lauzon-Clabo, RN, PhD, Dean of the MGH Institute School of Nursing
- 9:00-10:00 a.m. "Trauma: What we learn from those we care for at home and abroad"
Joseph Blansfield, NP Trauma Program Manager
- 10:00-10:20 a.m. Break
- 10:20-11:20 a.m. "History of nurses presence-medical reserve corps"
Stephanie Kwortnick RN, DNS, Clinical Nurse Specialist MGH Blake 12 ICU
- 11:20 a.m.-12:20 p.m. "Trauma Nursing: Lessons learned from the marathon bombing"
Dr. Marc De Moya, Medical Director Blake 12 ICU
- 12:20-1:30 p.m. Lunch (on your own)
- 1:30-2:30 p.m. "Stress Management: Importance of Resiliency"
Peg Baim MS, NP, Clinical director of training; Benson-Henry Institute for Mind Body Medicine
- 2:30-3:30 p.m. "Avoid patient assault – when the nurse is at risk for injury."
Constance Cruz RN, CNS and Donna Slicis APRN
- 3:30-3:45 p.m. Break
- 3:45-4:45 p.m. "Spiritual Response to the marathon bombing"
Members of MGH Chaplain Services
- 4:45-5:00 p.m. Wrap up and Evaluations
Saturday, September 27, 2014:
- 8:00 a.m.-Noon Registration White Building Corridor
- 8:33-10:30 a.m. Russell Museum Reception and Tour
- 10:15-10:35 a.m. Annual Business Meeting O’Keefe Auditorium
- 10:35-11:45 a.m. Panel Discussion with MGHIHP Nursing Students
- Noon-1:00 p.m. Reception and Class Pictures for Reunion Years Bulfinch Lawn and Wang Patio
- 1:00-2:30 p.m. Luncheon Wang Tea Leaves Cafeteria
- 2:30 p.m. Hospital Tours
Go to the MGHNAA Web site for more details.
MGH School of Nursing (1873 -1981)
Massachusetts General Hospital's commitment to world class nursing education began in 1873 when the Boston Training School for Nurses opened. It evolved into the MGH School of Nursing, educating nurses through the combination of theoretical study and clinical practice.
The School of Nursing's renowned director, Miss Ruth Sleeper, lobbied vigorously for the MGH to lead the world in nursing education at the advanced practice level. Her advocacy, and the vision of the hospital leadership, led to a master's level educational program for the health professions that is now the MGH Institute of Health Professions. The MGH School of Nursing graduated its last class in 1981. Its alumnae remain active through the MGH Nurses' Alumnae Association.
MGH NAA Membership
All graduates of the MGH School of Nursing are eligible for membership in the Massachusetts General Hospital Nurses' Alumnae Association. Annual dues are $30. To request a membership application, email the association.
Members of the MGH Nurses' Alumnae Association are welcome as associate members of the MGH Institute of Health Professions Alumni Association. The MGH Nurses' Alumnae Association also offers a complimentary one-year membership to the Institute's new nursing graduates, who may renew after one year as dues-paying members.
Contact the MGH NAA
MGH Nurses' Alumnae Association
PO Box 6234
Boston, MA 02114
To submit class news, email Donna Hovey or write to the address above.
Need a Transcript?
The MGH Institute maintains all the academic records from the Massachusetts General Hospital School of Nursing, including the Shepard-Gill School of Practical Nursing. Official and Unofficial copies of transcripts can be ordered online. Visit the Registrar's Office Transcript Request Information page for ordering instructions.
If MGHNAA graduates are interested in receiving the Institute's Graduate newsletter or other publications, please contact the Alumni office at firstname.lastname@example.org